Wind power

As the wind blows

The museums’ exhibition on wind power has the title ‘As the wind blows’. It tells the story of how Denmark became the world’s no. one with in wind power. The history begins at Askov Highschool in 1891 with the physicist Poul la Cour also called Edison of Denmark.

He was the first in Denmark to install a generator in a wind mill using the mill to produce electricity. At the same time he educated many electricians and made it possible for farmers and craftsmen to establish small power plants in the countryside. Some of these power plants were driven by wind, others used diesel engines. The exhibition also tells about other important wind turbines.

  • Windmills with adjustable wings
  • The F. L. Smidth wind turbine from the Second World War
  • The pioneering Gedser wind turbine from 1957
  • The first small manufactured wind turbines of the 1970’es starting the adventure
  • of Danish wind turbines
  • The Tvind wind turbine
  • Large new off shore parks of Wind turbines
The Riisager wind turbine

The museums possesses a Riisager wind turbine. Between 1976 until 1980 72 of such wind turbines were manufactured at the Carpentry of Christain Riisager at Lind close to Herning.

The Riiager wind turbines were among the first manufactured after the Energy Crisis in 1973. Most importantly they produced alternate current for the grid.

When there is plenty of wind the museums wind turbine still produces electricity. Due to a broken gear box the wind turbine has been changed from 22 kW to 18 kW.

The big wing

Close to exhibition hall no. 8 a 24 meter wing is set up. The wing was tested in 1990 for a 1 MW wind turbine that was erected at the Avedøre power plant on Amager at Copenhagen. This wind turbine was the first big turbine with stall regulated wings. The wing is made of glass fibre and can be regulated by pitch as well as stalling.

The Gedser wind turbine - the grandmother of all modern wind turbines

In the open you meet the nacelle with two wings from the first modern wind turbine in Denmark. The 200 kW wind turbine was built in 1957 at Gedser with money from the American Marshall-funding of which Denmark had a share for the rebuilding of Europe after the Second World War.

The Gedser wind turbine ran from 1957-1967 and was repaired and ran for a period in 1978 as the energy crisis had increased an interest of wind power. At that time it appeared as the only big AC wind turbine in the world that had produced electricity during several years. Other wind turbines of this size were blown into pieces. But the Gedser wind turbine was strong and self-regulating and therefore important. The Gedser wind turbine was a technological innovation as it became the hall mark of modern design of wind turbines with three wings, tip brakes and an asynchronous motor as generator. Foreign engineers named the Gedser wind turbine ‘The Danish Concept’.

The principles behind many modern wind turbines relate to the Gedser wind turbine and this has given the Gedser wind turbine the title ‘Grandmother of Danish wind turbines’. The Gedser wind turbine was designed by engineer Johannes Juul, Haslev. Originally it was placed on top of a 25 meter tower of concrete. The nacelle now has two original wings; the last is on the museums storage. In January 2006 the Gedser wind turbine was canonised by the Minister of Culture remarkable within Danish design and craft of art.

Comments are closed.